Chena Mezhukkupuratty Mildly spiced and highly irresistible, this yam preparation will have you coming back for more. Prep Time: 10M | Cooks Time: 35M Ingredients: 2 cups elephant yam (suran/senai/ratalu) chopped into small cubes 1 tablespoon red chilli powder 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)...
Erisseri – Day 2
A delicacy made of pumpkin, red beans and coconut paste. Topped with roasted coconut for extra crunch and flavour. Try it and see what the hype is all about.
- 2 cups kaddu (parangikai/ pumpkin) chopped
- ½ cup black eyed beans (lobia)
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh coconut grated
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 green chilli
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1 tablespoon fresh coconut
- 4 pearl onions (sambar onions) sliced
- Soak black eyed beans for an hour.
- Pressure-cook the beans with half a cup of water, for 3 to 5 whistles. Let the pressure
release on its own.
- Grind the paste ingredients – jeera, coconut and green chillies with a little water. Make a
coarse paste and set it aside.
- In a kadai, add the pumpkin, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt and cook on medium
heat till the pumpkins are nearly cooked. Add water as required.
- Add the coconut paste and the boiled black eyed peas to the pumpkin and stir well.
- Cook on medium heat for another five minutes until the pumpkin is completely cooked.
- Heat oil in a tadka pan. First add the mustard seeds and let it splutter, and then add curry
leaves and red chillies.
- Next, add sliced onions. Once they turn golden brown, add the coconut and saute till the
coconut turns golden brown as well.
- Add this to the Erissery and serve hot.
Inji Curry – Day 1 A combination of ginger, tamarind and jaggery, Puli Inji is an Onam staple. No Sadya is complete without it. Which is perhaps why this is the first dish prepared in most households. Prep Time: 10M | Cooks Time: 20M Ingredients: 1 cup tamarind water , from 40 grams of...
Kaalan Another favourite in the Sadya is the Kaalan, a signature curd-based dish made with yam or raw banana, or both. Prep Time: 25M | Cooks Time: 30M Ingredients: 2 raw banana peeled and diced 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi) 1 cup curd 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi) 1/2 teaspoon red...
ELAI ADAI Preparation Time: 5 minutes | Cooking Time: 1 hour 15 mins | Total Time: 1 hour 20 mins Ms. Asha Krishnakumar shares her recipe for Elai Adai, a lip-smacking breakfast staple during Onam. Elai Adai is a delicacy popular in Kerala. Essentially steamed dumplings, filled with sweetened...
BEETROOT HALWA Preparation Time: 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 30 mins | Total Time: 40 mins The beetroot isn’t a very popular vegetable. It’s nutritious and packed with goodness, but the taste is a hit or miss with most people. But there’s a way to make even the staunchest beetroot avoiders...