Ms. Asha Krishnakumar shares a unique recipe for appam.
Here’s a Mangalorean recipe that’s a refreshing take on the popular appam. Made with cooling cucumber for a delicious new flavour you might never have experienced before.
Makes 10 appams
2 Cups Idli rice
1/2 Cup raw rice (increase raw rice for appam)
1/4 Cup urad dal
Soak the ingredients for 3 hours.
Ingredients for Cucumber paste:
1 Nos. medium size cucumber
2 Nos. green chillies
2 Tablespoon coconut
1/2 Spoon cumin seeds
Few coriander leaves
1. Grind the cucumber, green chilli, coconut, cumin, coriander in your Ultra Mixer Grinder to make a smooth paste and set aside.
2. Grind urad dal with water and set aside.
3. Grind rice to a smooth batter.
4. Mix urad dal batter, rice batter, cucumber paste and salt to make a homogenous batter
5. Allow it to ferment for 8-9 hours.
6. Now you can make appam in your appam pan or also make dosas out of the same batter. Add a pinch of baking soda for appam.
Make sure you grind the batter finely. Your Ultra Mixer Grinder will see to it that you get the perfect texture for delicious and refreshing appam breakfast.