Ms. Asha Krishnakumar shares her recipe for mango pulissery, a sweet and sour mango curry that’s popular in Kerala.
Our love for mango knows no bounds. We eat it straight off the tree, make pickles, jams, juices, curries and so much more. If there’s another way to eat it, we’ll find it. Until then, here’s a lip-smacking recipe for you to try.
Mampazham Pulissery (Mango Pulissery)
Makes 2 Cups
2 Fully Ripe Mangoes
1/2 Tablespoon Chilli Powder
3-4 Tablespoons Coconut
1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Seed
1/2 Cup Curd
1 Green Chilli
2 Red Chillies
1. Peel and chop the mangoes. Boil chopped mango pieces with turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt with required water to make the mangoes soft.
2. Grind coconut, cumin seeds, green chilli with less water and curd to a fine paste in the Ultra Vario+ Mixer Grinder.
3. Once boiled, add the ground paste in it and let it simmer.
4. Allow it to boil a few minutes (do not allow the curd to curdle) and switch off.
5. Garnish with tempered mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, red chilli and curry leaves.
To get the authentic Kerala mampazham pulissery taste, use the Pulissery mampazham to make this dish. But any other mango is still as good.