A staple in every Sadya, thoran can be made from any vegetable, with grated coconut. Minimal cooking time and maximum nutrition in one handy dish.
Makes 2 Cups
Thoran Masala To Be Ground
1/2 cup fresh coconut grated
2 Green chillies, roughly chopped
1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
3 carrots chopped
1 cup green beans chopped
Tip: For freshly grated coconut use Ultra Grinder
1 teaspoon coconut oil or regular oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon white urad dal (split)
1/4 cup sambar onions finely chopped
2 sprig curry leaves
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon salt
1. Cook the carrot and beans along with a little salt and water for 2 whistles. Release the pressure immediately
2. Grind the fresh coconut, green chillies and cumin seeds to a coarse paste.
3. Temper the mustard seeds and urad dal and then add the chopped sambar onions and curry leaves.
4. Saute the onions, until they turn soft over medium heat. Once done, add the turmeric powder and the ground thoran masala. Saute for a few seconds.
5. Stir in the steamed carrot and beans and turn off the heat