Mildly spiced and highly irresistible, this yam preparation will have you coming back for more.
Makes 2 Cups
2 Cups elephant yam (suran/senai/ratalu) chopped into small cubes
1 Tablespoon red chilli powder
1 Teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
1 Tablespoon fennel seeds (saunf) pound
1 Teaspoon black pepper powder
1 Teaspoon mustard seeds
1 Sprig curry leaves
1 Tablespoon coconut oil
1 Cup pearl onions (sambar onions)
6 Cloves garlic
1. Cook the yam in the Ultra Pressure Cooker with water, salt and turmeric for about 3 whistle. Do not
2. Boil it till it becomes mushy. Strain the water immediately.
3. Grind onions and garlic to a coarse paste.
4. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves in a kadai and then add the onions and garlic paste.
5. Add the spice powders and fry till the raw smell goes away.
6. Once ready, add the boiled yam and fry till it crisps up