A warm coconut-milk based stew made with Ash gourd and red beans, Olan is quite the delectable delight.
Tip: Use Ultra Mixer Grinder for quick and easy coconut milk extraction
Makes 2 Cups
250 Gram vellai poosanikai (ash gourd/white pumpkin) or yellow pumpkin, peeled, cut into chunks
1/4 Cup black eyed beans (lobia)
2 to 3 Green chillies slit lengthwise
250 ml coconut milk
Salt to taste
2 Sprig curry leaves
2 Teaspoons coconut oil
1. Soak the beans in water for 2 to 3 hours and cook until soft.
2. Steam the ash gourd or the yellow pumpkin with salt, until soft and cooked completely.
3. Add the cooked gourd, beans, coconut milk, curry leaves and green chillies in a pan. Stir well and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Cook to your preferred consistency of gravy. Add coconut oil and simmer for a few more minutes.
5. Turn off the heat and allow it to rest for about 10 minutes before serving.