The ultimate comfort food, Moru Kachiyathu is flavoured with black sesame seeds, shallots, ginger and garlic for a healthy meal.
Makes 3 1/2 Cups
2 Cups curd (dahi / yogurt)
1-1/2 Cups water
5 Shallots (pearl onions), finely sliced
1 Inch ginger finely chopped
3 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 Green chilli finely chopped
1/2 Teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
1 Teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 Teaspoon methi seeds (fenugreek seeds)
1 Sprig curry leaves
2 Dry red chillies
2 Teaspoons coconut oil
Salt to taste
1. Whisk curd in a big bowl to get a silky texture.
2. Add water and whisk some more to get to a buttermilk consistency.
3. Temper mustard, methi seeds, curry leaves, red chillies and let it splutter.
4. To this, add sliced shallots, garlic and saute until the onions soften.
5. Add chopped ginger, green chillies, turmeric powder and flash fry it.
6. Turn the heat to low, and slowly add the buttermilk.
7. Keep stirring until the buttermilk just starts to bubble.
8. Switch off the flame immediately, season with salt and mix well.