A combination of ginger, tamarind and jaggery, Puli Inji is an Onam staple. No Sadya is complete without it. Which is perhaps why this is the first dish prepared in most households.
Makes 1 Cup
1 Cup tamarind water, from 40 grams of tamarind
2 Tablespoons ginger, chopped
2 Tablespoons green chillies, chopped
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
1/4 Teaspoon methi seeds (fenugreek seeds)
1/4 Teaspoon red chilli powder
1/4 Teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
3 Tablespoons jaggery
1/4 Teaspoon mustard seeds
3 Sprig curry leaves, finely chopped
Salt, to taste
1. In the Ultra Endura+ Pan, temper mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds and allow it to crackle.
2. Add asafoetida, curry leaves, ginger and green chillies. Saute to release the flavours.
3. To this, add turmeric powder, tamarind extract, red chilli powder, salt and jaggery.
4. Allow the mixture to come to boil. Once it does, turn the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes until the mixture thickens.
5. Turn off the heat, adjust the salt and serve.